A recent report shows the United States was the most breached country in Q2 of this year.
According to the new global study report, released by Surfshark, the U.S. had 49.8 million leaked accounts (nine times more than compared to the previous quarter). Almost 1 in 2 of all accounts breached in Q2 2023 were of American origin.
Other report highlights
- Globally, a total of 110.8 million accounts were breached in the second quarter of 2023, translating into 14 accounts being breached every second.
- The U.S. ranks 1st, with 49.8 million leaked accounts (45% of the total). It is followed by Russia (15.3 million), Spain (3.7 million), France (3.4 million) and Turkey (2.8 million).
- A 156% increase in breached users worldwide is seen compared to Q1 2023.
- North America was the most affected region by breaches in Q2 2023, followed by Europe and Asia. All other regions comprised less than 5% of the quarter’s total.
- The countries with the highest breach density (the number of leaked accounts per 1,000 residents) were the U.S., Russia, Spain, Finland and Australia.