Burlington International Airport (BTV) in Vermont has received a $14.5 million federal grant. According to Mayor Miro Weinberger and Senator Patrick Leahy, the grant will be used to expand the Airport’s terminal building and consolidate the two existing security checkpoints into one.

The grant comes from the Federal Aviation Administration’s Supplemental Airport Improvement Program, and will cover 90 percent of the cost for engineering, design, and construction. The remaining 10 percent local match will be funded through the Airport’s passenger facility charges.

The construction, which is expected to take approximately 18 months, will add roughly 26,240 square feet of new floor space, five TSA screening lanes on the first floor, and an expanded queuing area for TSA screening.