Senate Bill 551 in Nevada to Improve School Security
Senate Bill 551, introduced by Senator Cannizzaro, revises provisions relating to state financial administration, specifically for school security funding.
The act will authorize 50 percent of the proceeds of the tax in excess of the amount collected during Fiscal Year 2018-2019 to be transferred each month to the Clark County School District for the purposes of employing and equipping additional school police officers. A police department is prohibited from spending the proceeds of the tax unless the expenditure has been approved by a designated body and only if the use will not replace or supplant existing funding for the police department, as well.
SB 551 also makes appropriations:
- for the costs of public schools to retain social workers or other licensed mental health workers.
- for the costs of employing and equipping additional school resource officers or school police officers.
- for the costs of school safety facility improvements.
- for the costs of providing threat assessments, training and providing mobile crisis response team services in certain counties.
- to support the implementation of a program of social, emotional and academic development throughout the public schools of Nevada.
- for early childhood education programs in public schools.
- to provide supplemental funding for the Zoom and Victory schools programs to increase the number of schools served by programs and supplement the services provided at schools.