Oil and gas company Production Waste Solutions LLC has been cited for health and safety violations. The investigation found that a company employee suffered fatal exposure to hydrogen sulfide while working near a sump pit in September 2022.
The Occupational Safety and Health Administration (OSHA) issued citations to Production Waste Solutions LLC for six serious safety and health violations after the agency found the production waste facility exposed employees to serious chemical hazards.
At the time of the incident, the employee was skimming and suctioning out sludge water and oil byproducts from the pit. Specifically, OSHA cited the company for:
- Exposing employees to inhalation hazards.
- Not training employees on hazards associated with hydrogen sulfide exposure.
- Failing to provide a quick body drench or eye flush station for employees in the immediate work area where corrosive materials were present.
- Not performing a hazard assessment to determine if personal protective equipment was needed.
- Failing to protect employees from fall hazards of more than 4 feet.
- Not protecting employees from contacting energized circuits.