Number of Guns Brought to Airport Checkpoints in 2019 up 5 Percent
The TSA said its officers caught more firearms at checkpoints nationwide in 2019 than ever before in the agency’s 18-year history.
In total, 4,432 firearms were discovered in carry-on bags or on passengers at checkpoints across the country last year, averaging about 12.1 firearms per day, approximately a 5% increase nationally in firearm discoveries from the total of 4,239 detected in 2018. Eighty-seven percent of firearms detected at checkpoints last year were loaded.
“The continued increase in the number of firearms that travelers bring to airport checkpoints is deeply troubling,” said TSA Administrator David Pekoske. “There is a proper way to travel safely with a firearm. First and foremost, it should be unloaded. Then it should be packed in a hard-sided locked case, taken to the airline check-in counter to be declared, and checked.”
TSA said that firearms were caught at 278 airport checkpoints nationwide.
Here is the list of the top 10 airports for the most firearm discoveries in 2019:
1. Hartsfield-Jackson Atlanta International Airport (ATL): 323 – an increase of 25 firearms compared to 2018
2. Dallas/Fort Worth International Airport (DFW): 217
3. Denver International Airport (DEN): 140
4. George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH): 138
5. Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX): 132
6. Dallas Love Field Airport (DAL): 103
7. Fort Lauderdale-Hollywood International Airport (FLL): 100
8. Nashville International Airport (BNA): 97
9. Orlando International Airport (MCO): 96
10. Tampa International Airport (TPA): 87