Safest Colleges in America 2019
The National Council for Home Safety and Security has released its findings on the "Safest Colleges in America."
The report says, "For parents sending their children off to college, safety is usually a top concern. It is often the first time that their kids are on their own, living independently outside of the home. Choosing a school with a solid reputation for security and low potential for dangerous threats allows moms and dads to breathe easier once their kids ship off to earn a higher education."
The schools' campus size, location and culture were taken into consideration.
The top 20 safest schools are:
- Lincoln Memorial University - Harrogate, Tenn.
- South Georgia State College - Douglas, Ga.
- Elon University - Elon, N.C.
- Jackson State Community College - Jackson, Tenn.
- John Wood Community College - Quincy, Ill.
- Virginia Western Community College - Roanoke, Va.
- Roane State Community College - Harriman, Tenn.
- Elgin Community College - Elgin, Ill.
- University of Tennessee Health Science Center - Memphis, Tenn.
- Albany State University - Albany, Ga.
- Mount Holyoke College South - Hadley, Mass.
- Southern University and A&M College - Shreveport, La.
- Rogers State University - Claremore, Okla.
- Jefferson College - Hillsboro, Mo.
- Laredo Community College - Laredo, TX
- Dalton State College - Dalton, Ga.
- Walters State Community College - Morristown, Tenn.
- Chattanooga State Community College - Chattanooga, Tenn.
- College of Coastal Georgia - Brunswick, Ga.
- Florida SouthWestern State College - Fort Myers, Fla.
Most schools in the top 20 list were praised for their patrol systems, door lock and unlocks, after hours escort services, camera monitoring, dispatching for both emergency and non-emergency situations, offering anonymous tip lines to report to campus police and promotion of safety and awareness systems.