TSA Reports 1.8 Million Daily Passengers in 2012
According to new numbers from the TSA blog, approximately 1.8 million passengers have been screened every day so far this year.
In all, 375,431,402 passengers have traveled through TSA checkpoints since January.
Out of those, 30,204 have submitted a complaint, the blog reports. However, that equates to 0.008 percent of the total number of passengers, according to the blog.
In other numbers to date, the blog reports that:
- From January to July, 821 firearms have been discovered in carry-on bags at TSA checkpoints in the U.S.
- Of those firearms, 691 were loaded, and 210 were locked and loaded with a round in the chamber.
- The most popular caliber is reported as the compact .380 with 197 found this year.
- Atlanta TSO airport has found the most firearms with 56 so far this year.
- TSA PreCheck has expanded to five airlines and 20 airports, and has processed more than 2 million passengers.
- By the end of the year, TSA officials hope to have the program available at 35 of the busiest U.S. airports.