The Top 10 Shoplifted Items are Revealed...
The goods most likely to be shoplifted this holiday season have been revealed as choice cuts of meat, expensive bottles of alcohol and hi-tech items such as electric toothbrushes and smartphones.
Razor blades - in particular, the high-priced Gillette Mach 4 - and deodorants are also high on the list of most at-risk products, researchers claim.
Designer clothing and expensive fragrances are regularly targeted by thieves too, according to AdWeek.com.
The Top 10 Most Shoplifted Items, according to AdWeek and the National Association for Shoplifting Prevention (NASP) are:
- Expensive cuts of meat
- Expensive bottles of alcohol
- Electric items including toothbrushes and DIY tools
- Electronic gadgets such as video games, smartphones and laptops
- Razor blades, particularly Gillette Mach 4
- Axe brand deodorants and body washes
- Designer clothing including Ralph Lauren and Tommy Hilfiger
- Let's Rock Elmo toy
- Perfumes including Chanel No. 5
- Trainers by Nike and Addidas
One in every 11 people to walk into a shop will leave the store with at least one item that wasn't paid for, NASP says, representing 1.45 percent of total sales, meaning U.S. retailers are likely to lose $119 billion to shoplifters this year.
In addition, says NASP, 35 percent of thefts are undertaken with the help of a corrupt employee.