Natural Disasters and Terrorist Threats Top Americans' Public Safety Concerns
- Half of respondents say their family does not have an emergency plan, while 44% say they do.
- More than half of Americans do not have an emergency kit available
- More than half (54%) of Americans do not have an emergency kit available to them to deal with emergency situations, while 43% say they do have such a kit on hand.
- The vast majority (88%) of respondents say mobile or wireless communication systems (to connect first responders, EMTs, hospitals, fire, police) are the most important tools for public safety officers to perform their duties.
- Half (51%) say that they know if their city or town is able to alert them in case of an emergency, while 49% say they do not know or are not sure if their town provides updated sirens, communication technologies or procedure/evacuation information.