1.2M Shoplifters and Dishonest Employees Apprehended by 25 Large U.S. Retailers in 2014
More than 1.2 million shoplifters and dishonest employees were apprehended in 2014 by just 25 large retailers who recovered over $225 million from these thieves, according to the 27th Annual Retail Theft Survey conducted by Jack L. Hayes International.
"Something has to change, as we continue to report increases in apprehensions and recovery dollars year after year. In 2014, the number of apprehensions and recovery dollars were up again for both shoplifters and dishonest employees. Shoplifting apprehensions rose 7.4%, while dishonest employee apprehensions rose 1.7%. The dollars recovered from apprehended shoplifters and dishonest employees also rose, 7.5% and 18.1% respectively", said Mark R. Doyle, President of Jack L. Hayes International. "These increases, follow similar increases reported the previous three years!"
Doyle added, "I believe the solution starts with education. Educating the public as to the severity of the theft problem and how it negatively effects them on a daily basis. Educating our elected officials as to the negative impact theft plays on our communities and economy. Also, we need to do a better job educating our school aged children to the consequences of theft and the seriousness of the problem."
Highlights from the annual theft survey include:
- Participants: 25 large retail companies with 23,250 stores and over $700 billion in retail sales (2014)
- Apprehensions: 1,272,560 shoplifters and dishonest employees were apprehended in 2014, up 7.1% from 2013.
- Recovery Dollars: Over $225 million was recovered from apprehended shoplifters and dishonest employees in 2014, up 10.4% from 2013.
- Shoplifter Apprehensions: 1,192,194 shoplifters were apprehended in 2014, up 7.4% from 2013.
- Shoplifter Recovery Dollars: Over $159 million was recovered from apprehended shoplifters in 2014, an increase of 7.5% from 2013. An additional $82.5 million was recovered from shoplifters where no apprehension was made, up a significant 15.2% from 2013.
- Employee Apprehensions: 80,366 dishonest employees were apprehended in 2014, up 1.7% from 2013.
- Employee Recovery Dollars: Over $66 million was recovered from employee apprehensions in 2014, up 18.1% from 2013.
- One out of every 38 employees was apprehended for theft from their employer in 2014. (Based on over 3.0 million employees.)
- On a per case average, dishonest employees steal over 6 times the amount stolen by shoplifters ($825.36 vs $133.80).
For full survey results visit www.hayesinternational.com