DHS Announces Critical Infrastructure and Preparedness Grants
- Transit Security Grant Program (TSGP) - $253.4 million to protect critical transit infrastructure from terrorism-in addition to $150 million in transit security grants provided by the Recovery Act (1, 2), totaling $403.4 million - including:
- Freight Rail Security Grant Program (FRSGP) - $14.5 million to protect critical freight rail systems infrastructure from acts of terrorism resulting from railroad cars transporting toxic inhalation hazardous materials.
- Intercity Passenger Rail (Amtrak) - $20 million to protect critical surface transportation infrastructure and the traveling public from terrorism within the Amtrak rail system.
- Intercity Bus Security Grant Program (IBSGP) - $11.5 million to assist operators of fixed-route intercity and charter bus services to support security plans, facility security upgrades and vehicle and driver protection.
- Port Security Grant Program (PSGP) - $288 million to protect critical port infrastructure from terrorism; enhance maritime domain awareness and risk management capabilities to protect against improvised explosive devices and other non-conventional weapons; conduct training and exercises; and support implementation of the Transportation Worker Identification Credential (TWIC)-in addition to $150 million in port security grants provided by the Recovery Act (1), totaling $438 million.
- Buffer Zone Protection Program (BZPP) - $48 million to increase preparedness capabilities of jurisdictions responsible for safeguarding critical infrastructure sites and key resource assets, such as chemical facilities and nuclear power plants.
- Emergency Operations Centers (EOC) Grant Program- $57.6 million to support the construction or renovation of Emergency Operations Centers to improve state, local or tribal emergency management and preparedness capabilities to ensure continuity of operations during disasters.
- Interoperable Emergency Communications Grant Program (IECGP) - $48 million to assist governments in carrying out initiatives identified in Statewide Communication Interoperability Plans and improve interoperable emergency communications used to respond to natural disasters and acts of terrorism.
- Driver's License Security Grant Program (DLSGP) - $48 million to help states and territories improve security of state-issued driver's licenses and identification cards in order to reduce fraud, enhance the reliability and accuracy of personal identification documents and prevent terrorism.