Genetec Inc. recently released the results of its 2024 State of Physical Security report. Based on insights from more than 5,500 physical security leaders worldwide (including end users and channel partners), the report looks at the security strategies organizations are putting in place to effectively navigate the realities of a changing industry.
Key report highlights
- 44% of end users reported that more than 25% of their physical security setups are now either in the cloud or use a combination of cloud and on-premises solutions. This is an increase from the 24% reported in last year's survey.
- In last year's survey, end-users considered perceived cybersecurity risks to be the primary factor discouraging their organizations from adopting cloud-based security systems. However, in the 2024 survey, respondents have relegated perceived cybersecurity risks to the sixth position among the factors deterring their organizations from adopting security systems in the cloud.
- 74% of channel partner respondents anticipate that more of their current customers will embrace cloud connectivity for security in the coming year. 39% of channel partners stated that they prioritize cloud-based solutions whenever possible, and 52% offer cloud-based solutions upon customer request.
- The increasing adoption of cloud-based physical security systems has led to a rise in cybersecurity threats, data handling and compliance requirements. As a result, IT and physical security teams are becoming increasingly interconnected as evidenced by 55% of end users indicating that the IT department has access to physical security data.
- 60% percent of end-user respondents revealed that their organizations aim for a security deployment strategy that combines both on-premises and cloud-based solutions. The transition to hybrid systems is already in progress, with 15% of end-users stating that their organizations are currently storing video surveillance data both locally and in the cloud, marking a notable increase from the 4% reported in last year's survey.