El Paso, Dayton Shootings: 251 Mass Shootings in 216 Days for 2019
After last weekend's shootings in El Paso, Texas and Dayton, Ohio, there have been 251 mass shootings in 2019 to date, or mass shootings than days so far this year.
Data from the Gun Violence Archive categorizes mass shootings as incidents in which four or more people were shot or killed, not including the shooters. This year, more than 520 people have died in mass shootings and at least 2,000 have been injured, according to the data.
The 251 mass shootings include five events in the past eight days, in which more than 100 people were shot:
- A shooting in Dayton, Ohio, with 9 people killed and 27 injured.
- A shooting at Walmart in with 20 people killed and 26 wounded. It was the deadliest shooting of the year.
- A shooting at the Gilroy Garlic Festival, with three people killed and 15 injured.
- A shooting at a with one person killed and 11 injured.
- A shooting at a Walmart in , with two people killed and two injured.
Before the El Paso attack, the deadliest mass shooting of 2019 happened in a municipal building in Virginia Beach, where a former city employee killed 12 people and injured four, according to the data.
The Gun Violence Archive data shows 33,028 total shooting incidents in 2019 as of August 4, resulting in 8,734 deaths and 17,308 injuries.
The last time the mass shooting toll topped days of the year was 2016, which had 382 mass shootings — the most in any year since the Gun Violence Archive began to keep track track.