Retail continues to be the largest vertical market for video surveillance. When looking at the size of sales from retailers, the numbers are staggering – a pharmacy chain’s initial order for 80 locations was 1,300 cameras, over 16 cameras per location…a two year, $15 million contract extension to provide video surveillance equipment to a major international retailer for its asset protection and safety program…a video security solution for 29 retail locations and corporate offices of a leading skateboard, snowboard and apparel retailer…complete video solutions for a national furniture chain, national grocery chain and a nationwide book retailer. Here are the five similarities that tie them together, according to Mike Capulli of Samsung | GVI Security, Carrolton, Texas.
- Retail is an analog application because analog costs less. It provides the images retail/loss prevention managers need at a much lower budget than IP. Since most dealer/integrators/end-users are already comfortable selling analog, this market eliminates the frustration some have with IP video.
- Although an important reason to have a video system, theft is typically not the top issue. Video eliminates the payouts of fraudulent slips-and-falls, a major liability concern of retail outlets.
- Highlight the parking lot. Retailers want their shoppers to know the lots are supervised. They also use the cameras to spot if there are traffic tie-ups or other problems.
- The cost of all the needed video equipment can often be beyond the security department’s budget. That’s why security departments are working with counterparts in operations and marketing to amortize the cost of their digital investment.
- Loss prevention departments are focused on the future of video analytics which will remove them from being cost centers to revenue generators. For instance, marketing can show its vendors video of product appeal testing via shelf location and determine which end caps and displays attract the most number of people. The vendors can then make changes that yield more sales.